Ms. Barnes recently completed a new book, Transcend Your Boss: Zen and the Difficult Workplace. Targets of workplace abuse suffer potentially severe mental and physical damage. The book shows targets of workplace abuse how to exist in a hostile environment long enough to resolve the problem. This book is a follow-up to Ms. Barnes’ 2012 book, “Surviving Bullies, Queen Bees & Psychopaths in the Workplace, which provides an easy-to-understand legal overview of workplace abuse.
Surviving Bullies, Queen Bees & Psychopaths in the Workplace helps targets effectively use their company’s internal complaint procedure, while avoiding common pitfalls that could derail their complaint. The book also provides an overview of legal options available to targets of workplace abuse. The book is also valuable to employers and Human Resource professionals, who can learn how to minimize the employer’s risk of abuse and resultant costly litigation. The book has garnered numerous five-star reviews on Amazon.com and BarnesandNoble.com, from prominent workplace bullying experts.
Ms. Barnes writes a syndicated legal blog on workplace abuse issues – WHEN THE ABUSER GOES TO WORK – with particular attention to bullying. The blog is syndicated by Newstex, which provides news and commentary from the “world’s best authoritative sources.” Newstex content is available to subscribers of Lexis-Nexis, Thomas Reuters, Westlaw, etc., as well as university, corporate, legal, and government libraries.
Ms. Barnes is available for consultation, as a speaker and to conduct management training and remediation. She can be contacted at firstname.lastname@example.org.
She was interviewed by Bloomberg Businessweek for a feature article on the topic – see Field Guide to Office Bullies.
In addition to her books, Ms. Barnes’ recent workplace-abuse activities include:
- Speaker, Wordcamp 2013, University of Nevada, April 2013.
- Speaker, business organization classes at the University of Nevada, Reno, NV. (3/13)
- Quoted in Bloomberg Businesweek, Field Guide to Office Bullies, (11/12).
- Radio show of Steven Hollingsworth, All in a Day’s Work, at http://www.vegasallnetradio.com/Shows/All-In-A-Days-Work.html, (10/12)
- Contributor, Back Off! Your Kick-Ass Guide to Ending Bullying @ Work, an excellent book by co-authors Catherine Mattice and E.G. Sebastian (7/ 2012).
- Author, Workplace Bullying: When the Abuser Goes to Work, DOMESTIC VIOLENCE REPORT, a leading national resource for domestic violence advocates. (4-5/2011)
- Interviewed, KRNV-TV, Reno, NV (4/11).
- Co-author (with NV State Senator Richard “Tick” Segerblom), article on workplace bullying, COMMUNIQUÉ, the official journal of the Clark County Bar Association, Las Vegas (5/11). Sen. Segerblom has proposed workplace anti-bullying legislation in Nevada.
- Invited expert on workplace abuse issues before the NV General Assembly’s Commerce and Labor Committee. (3/11).
- Expert, Westlaw Roundtable Group, Thomas Reuters Expert Witness Services, Employee Relations.